Sunday, August 26, 2012

I've Always Fancied a Good Cup Of Joe.

I tend to gravitate towards things with the letter J.

  • I really like jello and strawberry jam. I love Jalapeno flavored potato chips- especially the baked kind. I could sustain myself the rest of my life off of beef jerky. I always have a can of Jiff peanut butter in my possession. Jolly Time popcorn (butterlicious) >>>> anything else. Junior mints. Yes, I eat them outside the movie theater [gasp].Jolly ranchers will forever be delicious and rewarding. Then there is juice and who doesn't love juice? 
  • "Juno" is a quality movie, of which I was obsessed with in high school. As a cheerleader, we had to dress up for Courtwarming Spirit days and stuff. I forget what the theme of the day was, but I came to school impersonating a pregnant Ellen page carrying around a thing of Sunny D. [I was cool].
  • I have always wanted to own a jeep. 
  • Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey was one of my favorite movies as a child, which I begged my mom to rent on VHS quite frequently. 
  • The months of June and July are the best months of the Summer season.
  • Jasmine is one of the coolest Disney princesses. She has a pet tiger for crying out loud
  • I have laughed at one or more of the Jimmy Dean breakfast commercials. There is just something about a man in giant sun costume that carries just a tid-bit of humor.
  • Two Words:Aunt Jemima.
  • Journalism is pretty nifty. 
  • I love Jazz music. 
  • I can't juggle though.
  • The Joker is my favorite batman villain  (Due to my best friend's obsession with Heath Ledger. She even named her first car after him).
  • Jack-O-Lanterns come from the letter J and Halloween is the best holiday of the year. 

 Obviously, J is just a badass letter.

Jealousy is probably one of the few bad things that come out of the word J. Well that, and quite a few ex-boyfriends. Even in my "love" life, I tend to gravitate towards the letter J. 80% of the guys I have talked to, went on dates with, or courted have had a first name starting with a J. Maybe it's because I wanted to continue on my mother's family tradition of everyone having "J names"; since I couldn't do it by myself, I thought I'd marry one. Secretly I have a grudge against her for not naming me something starting with a J. Here are some cool "J names" I could have been called , with ways they would have been catchy:
  • Jaxine ...."Jaxxxxinee, you don't have to put on the red light"
  • Janet. I've one thing to say and that's Dammit, Janet I love you. (If you don't get that reference, watch "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" right now. Seriously. Do it).
  • Jacaranda (I'm just simply Jacaranda Sue).
So maybe my mom saw how great of a person I was going to be and thought that Shelby was much more fit. I just think if I had a "J name" I would be more likely to date another letter of the alphabet. The problem with me gravitating towards "J names" is that there are only so many and eventually I'm going to run out. And after twenty years of life on this planet, I think I might have found the most popular J name out there. I have many personal experiences with it. Many of my favorite celebrities icons are named it. One survey says that there are over 2,000,000 in the United States alone. It's ranked number 9 or higher on multiple lists for "most common male names". What is the name you ask? Joseph.

The Many Josephs of My Life

  • My Grandpa does not know if his real first name is Joseph or Eugene. The courthouse burnt down and with it burnt his birth certificate records. My great grandmother could not exactly remember if it was Joseph Eugene or Eugene Joseph (weird right?). He goes by Eugene Joseph, but who knows. His real legal name could be Joseph Eugene. 
  • One of my best friends longest relationships was to a guy named Joseph. This story is hers to tell, but if I had a list entitled "people I really did not care for that I barely knew", he would be number one.
  • One of my friends dated a guy named Joseph in the fifth grade. I sat next to him in our class. Since I like you all so much, I'll tell you an embarrassing story involving this particular Joseph. I have already informed you all that I was a very strange child (dreaming of riding llamas as my future career and such). Well, weird carried through with me in all aspects of life- Starting with breakfast. I can never remember eating a completely normal breakfast. From burritos to blocks of cheese, I ate what I felt like. Well on one morning in particular, I decided I wanted garlic toast. (You toasted the bread, buttered it, and then sprinkled garlic powder all over it). Not just one serving, but two were stuffed into my mouth. You'd think being the smart kid I was, I would have known that the smell of garlic stays with you all day (even after brushing your teeth). To save this long story from becoming a novel, this kid named Joseph was burdened of sitting next to me on this day. Garlic and all. My gum and mints could not save either of us. Luckily, it was the first day that bastard named Edward Cullen left me alone.
  • My longest high school relationship was to a guy named Joseph. Our relationship started off at a volleyball game where my best friend and I called him some obnoxious name to get him to come over and talk with us. If flirting were an Olympic sport, I would be the water girl for the team.

Wikipedia lists these Joseph's as important people:

  • Joe Camel: Cigarette Mascot
  • Joey Chestnut: Competitive Eater
  • Joe Pasquale: Won the 4th series of I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
But not only do Josephs seem to have a prevalence in my life history, Joseph is the name of many of my Hollywood friends. Okay, well they are not my real friends per se. But if they met me, we would like this [doing the whole finger cross gesture thing].

Celebrities associated with the name Joseph that are awesome and you know it:

  • Joey Zimmerman: This kid, though his character is slightly annoying, is one Joseph that I am quite envious of.  He only is from one of my favorite Disney Channel Original movies, playing Marnie Piper's little brother Dylan. For those of you reading that aren't Disney Channel Original Movie fanatics, he was in "Halloweentown" (and all the sequels). He got to go to a magical town full of crazy creatures. Eventually, if my memory does not mistake me, he even gets to become a warlock. How cool is that? 
  • Joseph Fatone: He only tore up up our hearts with the likes of Justin Timberlake, Jc Chasez, Lance Bass, and Chris Kirpatrick in a little band called 'N Sync. He's wonderful, as are the rest of his former band mates. He also had a big comeback by taking second place on Dancing with the Stars in 2007. He is a very big deal.
  • Joey King: This Joey is actually female, but she deserves to be on the list. She's only 13 years old and has more street cred in Hollywood than I ever will. She gets to play the daughter of Steve Carell in "Crazy Stupid Love", which makes her a co-star of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Enough said right there. Not only that, but she played Ramona in "Romana and Beezus" alongside Selena Gomez. She had a lead role in a adaptation of the classic Beverly Cleary novels. This kid knows what she is doing.
  • Joey Ramone: (who's actually name is Jeffrey, but since he is known as Joey I am making him acceptable) He was only apart of a little band called the "Romanes". He only wrote a little song called "I wanna be sedated". That little song was only one of my older sisters and mine favorites of all time. It was only in a little movie called "Carpool", which is only one of my favorite films of all time. If this is not reason enough, Joey and the rest of the band were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2002. 
  • Joey Tribbiani: Let's face it, after this role Matt LeBlanc will never be called Matt again. Friends was on air for ten years. Ending when I was in the 6th grade, it took up a pretty big chunk of my adolescence. Joey and Phoebe were obviously my favorite characters. Joey as a child had an imaginary friend, that was a space cowboy by the name of Maurice (obviously Joey could be Carl and mines best friend too). & then with his catch phrase, "how you doing" , he was destined to be one of the coolest Josephs in history.

 & most importantly:

  • Joseph Gordon Levitt: It's times like these that I wish I went to Hogwarts. I would make a magic potion, wave my wand, and create my own Joseph Gordon Levitt to love, and hug, and squeeze em to death. But sadly, my acceptance letter never came on my eleventh birthday so I just have to admire Joseph Gordon Levitt from the pages of the interweb. From "Angels in the Outfield" to "Ten Things I Hate About You", this love started at a young age. I remember sitting in the outfield of softball games wishing that if I flapped my arms, I would have the ability to see and talk to angels too. Instead of swooning over a young Heath Ledger, I thought the new, awkward, slightly nerdy Levitt was the bees knees. Bianca did not deserve him. Joseph won me over completely when accepting the role of Tom in "500 Days of Summer". Co-starring with Zooey Deschanel (who will eventually get a blog post all of her own), this movie is easily in my top 5 favorites. It for once tells the true story of life. It skips the candy coating, and let's us take a straight, sharp bite into reality. Oh, and he is kind of Robin in the third installment of the Batman trilogy "The Dark Knight Rises". Joseph (if you are reading this), I was Robin for Halloween once. It's just another reason you should like me.
Well, I'm all J'd out. But to end this post, here is one of my favorite quotes from the only Joseph Gordon Levitt (at least the interweb said he said it. who knows if that's true):

"A lot of boys and girls think their lives will have meaning if they find a partner who wants nothing else in life but them. That's not healthy. That's falling in love with the idea of a person, not the actual person"

Simply Shelby Sue

 

P.s. I know most of you are wondering why I did not mention the obvious Uncle Joey from the classic family sitcom, "Full House". Well he is creepy and I really don't like him. Sure, when I was little I thought doing his "cut , it, out" hand motions was pretty fantastic. Now that I'm older, I only see him as the creepy, voice impersonator friend of Bob Saget's living in a basement in a household of little girls (who resemble Uncle Joey, more than daddy Danny-just saying).


1 comment:

  1. You are amazing and this made me laugh! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Words of encouragement are always welcome!