Monday, April 18, 2016

Shelby Sue's Monday Mood Tunes: Ear-Pleasing, Heart Happy Covers

Sometimes you just need a change from the original. This list is for you. So sit back, relax, and get ready to find some of your favorite tunes that have been remade into new beauties.


20 Covers that Please the Ears and Heart


  1. FourFiveSeconds by Fairground Saints

    These gems graced the playlist last week and here they are again. Their voices are so delicate and raspy and wonderful. I am not a big Ri-Ri fan, but I do love the original so much with the blend of her voice, Kanyes, and Sir Paul McCartney. I was surprised to find a cover that I love equally, if not more.




  2. Halo by Ane Brun, Linnea Olsson


    I already know what most of you music freaks are thinking.

    Who covers Beyonce? She is Queen. She slays. She is flawless.



    Whilr I may not be a big Bey fan like everyone else out there, her original is one of my favorites. This cover does it justice. If you like to have background music to study or lounge, this is that sort of cover. It is soft and beautiful and perfectly pairs for simple activities.

  3. Fast Car by Boyce Avenue ft. Kina Grannis


    I love this cover so much that I forget it is actually a cover; in fact, I just added it to my cover playlist while writing this weeks Mood tunes. I mean, do not get me wrong. Tracy Chapman is queen and the original is solid. I just feel like Boyce Avenue created a real gem with Kina Grannis.

  4. Boom Clap by Lennon and Maisy


    These two nuggets. Well, technically Lennon is no longer a nugget, but still. They are lovely souls who thankfully share their beautiful voices with us. I cannot stand this original song, yet I love this cover. That tells you how good it is.



  5. How's It Going to Be by Jack & White


    A Third Eye Blind cover that does the band justice and does not sound like karaoke? That exists? Yes it does. Get ready to feel happy and reminisce. This song will spark your need to listen to some throwback tunes from the best decade ever. The combo of Jack & White's voices creates a haunting sound that is refreshing.




  6. Fireflies by Hearts & Color


    This song is what I imagine rainbows sound like if rainbows had a distinct sound. If you knew me in highschool, you knew this song was constantly played my senior year. Let us be real, any owl city was played. So if a cover of one their songs is good enough to make this list, do not take it with a grain of salt.







  7. Crazy in Love by Daniela Andrade

    Another Bey hit... Shelby what are you thinking? I am thinking that the greatest people have the most covers made by people that adore them. This means a plethora of gems to be found. This one is so sweet and simple. It is the complete opposite of Bey's original; if you do not know music or know the original sound, you would not realize this was a cover. They are two completely different tracks and that is what I like in a cover. New, yet familiar.


  8. Beneath your Beautiful by Tiffany Alvord & Chester See


    A cover of Labrinth's, I like this one a lot. Chester See. If I say your name three times, does that mean you will show up my house and give me a personal serenade? Like Beetlejuice? Chester See. Chester See. Chester See...Not like I actually thought that would work, but a girl can wish. The grit and rasp of his voice is just......uh. It is the good stuff. Plus, it pairs quite well with Tiffany Alvord's sweet pipes.



  9. Blank Space/ Stand by Me by Imagine Dragons


    This one is more my Top 40 people. This is one of my jams. Imagine Dragons shows appreciation for their fellow musicians and tackles T-Swift. Combining her Top 40 hit with Ben E. King's Stand by Me is genius. I have not done enough research to see if this was their original idea, or if someone else has done it before. I just think it is magical. It is definitely a make ya happy type of tune.



  10. Pony by Patrick Lentz


    This one is one is for all the girls who loved Magic Mike. & if you are not in that category [raises hand], this is for all the people who loved Jenna Dewan Tatum's dance to this song on Lip Sync Battle. She slayed. Nonetheless, Patrick Lentz is genuine (see what I did there?) and has some pipes to back this hit song up. This is tune is perfect for pairing with a drive, swaying, or making sweet love to your mac and cheese. You get my point. Ride that pony y'all.



  11. I Want Crazy- Julia Sheer


    For those country lovers and people like me who just like Hunter Hayes, I stumbled up this cover and liked it. Sometimes it nice to have a version of a song you adore, sang by the opposite gender, just for a bit of a change. It is not much different than the original, but I do not mind that too much in this instance.

  12. Safety Dance by Sleeping at Last


    Saving one of my favorites for the end of the list...why? Because I am a mean-hearted soul...Kidding. I just got distracted and could not leave it out. If you do not like the original song or this cover, I do not really like you. Completely opposite from its creator, Sleeping at Last makes this Safety Dance a tune of its own. If it has not appeared in a Grey's Anatomy episode, it probably will at some point or needs to.





  13. Bette Davis Eyes by Sexton Blake


    Another solid cover that stands up to its solid original by Kim Carnes. If I am being honest though, this is the only song of Carnes' that I know; are there any other gems? If so, I think I need to know. Sexton Blake takes her hit and makes it his own sultry tune. This cover is perfect for any indie film or well-scored film in general.



  14. Summertime Sadness by Megan Davies ft. Keelan Donnovan


    Not sure how I made this far into a Cover playlist and am just now mentioning Megan Davies...she covers a lot of songs and does them each justice. Well, at least the ones I have heard. While Lana Del Rey does not really need covered, this one will not disappoint you Lana fans. At least, I do not think it will. Keelan adds in a bit of spice for a bit of a change from the original.


  15. Hit 'Em Up Style by Carolina Chocolate Drops


    Folksy and Blue Cantrell in the same sentence? Yup. That is right. Carolina Chocolate Drops took this one hit wonder and gave it some folksy flair. It truly is a delight. Trade in your fedora and big sunglasses for a sunhat and bare feet- it is perfect.Truly, what dreams are made of.

  16. Last Kiss by Coeur de Pirate


    It is probably just me, but when I pictured what dances in high school would be like, I always pictured slow dances happening to this song by J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers. Probably most certainly just me because I am weird. But still, it is one of those sweet songs that you think of happening in moments like that. Coeur de Pirate might have an odd name, but that oddness pairs so well with the lyrics of Last Kiss. They did my slow dance song justice and I adore them for it.





  17. Pursuit of Happiness by Lissie


    *Warning: Adult Content aka Cursing.

    Kid Cudi? Yes. Lissie is another one of my favorite cover-ers? Is that a word? If not, I just made it one. I just enjoy her voice and her take on Cudi. It could easily be an awful song to cover, but she made it an enjoyable one.

  18. I Will Survive by Cake


    Cake covered an Aretha Franklin song? Why, yes. Yes they did. And here it is for you to enjoy. Should I say more? Probably. But, I do not really feel like it needs any more to be said. There is a solid instrumental solo from about 1:40 to 2:20 if that is what your ears hanker for.




  19. Edge of Seventeen by the Wind and the Wave

    Oooo. Stevie. Stevie Nicks is one of my many, many, musical home-girls. She is just a special, rare, eccentric thing. So I have high expectations when one goes to cover her. This one? The Wind and the Wave just made me so happy. They are bringing Stevie back to relevancy and giving the new generation an appreciation of how wonderful she is.



  20. Private Eyes by the bird and the bee


    Now for two of my homeboys, Hall & Oates. Another band difficult to tackle. This cover has to make them happy because it makes me happy. It feels straight out of a 80's film and makes me wish I had some terrible 80's graphics behind me while I dance to it. Find your key-tar and get ready to jam.




    These 20 tunes, along with the previous Monday Mood Tunes can all be found on the playlist below!



So now that you are jamming, I hope this list helps you occasionally rock out with your socks out. & if you liked this list, make sure to follow my original playlist that influenced this Monday Mood Tunes- Sometimes you need a change from the original. It has all sorts of covers. Bad, good, weird, indie, pop-y, etc.

Simply Singing Shelby Sue


P.S. I'm working on a blog that is not a Music Monday Mood Tunes. Wait-what? You can write more than one blog in a week? Sometimes. If ideas spark me, I can. Be on the look out! Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words of encouragement are always welcome!