Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Problems of a Well Made Mixtape

Mixtapes.

Here is the Wikipedia Definition of a Mixtape:

" generic name given to any compilation of songs recorded onto a Compact Cassette, Compact Disc, music file, or any other audio format. A mixtape, which usually reflects the musical tastes of its compiler, can range from a casually selected list of favorite songs, to a conceptual mix of songs linked by a theme or mood, to a highly personal statement tailored to the tape's intended recipient."

The first time I made a mixtape was in elementary school. Somehow I had acquired a whole pack of blank cassette tapes. Don't ask me how- it just happened. (We have already covered more than a few times that I was a weird kid). With these tapes, I had endless possibilities. Most kids at this time recorded songs off the radio and such. Not me. I decided to recorded bits of songs off of cds I already owned on to a cassette tape. Genius? - No, but I thought I was one. It was entitled none other than "Shelby's Hit Clip Mix".

The first mixtape I received was at another elementary school birthday party. My best friend, Whitney, burnt me a cd of all my favorite songs at the time. She had one of those nifty programs that you could even make labels with. My birthday mixtape (which is still in my possession) was decorated in a rainbow of crayola crowns. It was shiny and absolutely beautiful and extremely well made. Off the top of my head I can recall a few tracks:
  • I've Never had a Dream Come True by 7 Club Seven
  • From A.M. to P.M. by Christina Milian
  • Roller coaster Ride by Jump 5
By the time high school rolled around, mixtapes became a way of life- it lacked the luster. My best friends and I literally made one for everything. Oh- we are going to taco bell tonight? NEW MIXTAPE. Oh- we are driving three blocks? NEW MIXTAPE. Oh, we are going to school? NEW MIXTAPE. I even received one from my high school cheer coach. She had each of us write down our favorite song at the time. Of course, my best friend Suzanne & I chose some weird alternative song that did not fit with the rest of the choices. I remember quite well that Suzanne's pick was "Lying is the Most fun a Girl can Have Without Taking off her Clothes" by Panic at the Disco. No one questioned our weird choices though because quite frankly we were us. The mixtape was obviously a flop. Telling 14 or so girls to choose their favorite song, then trying to make them coincide just doesn't really work when you do not have 14 stereotypical cheerleaders. To make matters even worse, the CD was entitled "Cheerlious" ....None of us had the heart to tell our coach it was spelled wrong.

The last mixtape I received is actually the backbone for tonight's blog (prepare yourselves).

I attend classes on Monday and Wednesday in a town thirty minutes away, so I spend a lot of the time alone in the car. While toiling with the fact that I am not going to be able to eat till noon or creating ideas to blog, I simply get lonely. When the loneliness is too much, I turn to the radio. Music can solve any situation and simply make the drive go by smoothly. The other day, the radio cut to one of those poorly-written, cheesy, morning talk shows. & so began the hunt for a good cd.

For those who don't know me, you think this might be a simple task- but no. I have a pile of about 40 some cds in my console. I have not gotten rid of a single mixtape made since elementary school. The crappy ones, the sad ones, the random ones- they are still there. Shiny, some sticky from a soda spill or two. While playing "Eenie Meenie" with the array of choices, I reached for a lovely gold one. It had a swirl design- it was not one I recalled off the top of my head. After a few seconds into the first song, I remembered why.

This wasn't just a mixtape given to me with no meaning. It wasn't meant for a drive to get myself a crunchy taco. This was a mixtape given to me by a boy (long gone), which is why it was buried so deep in the pile...To make matters worse, I loved every song on the cd, which is why things have become problematic. Listening to this cd, not knowing it's meaning, is a joyous occasion. I sing along. I rap a little bit. I pretend I'm Carried Underwood or Beyonce. I'm kind of the most talented car singer you will ever meet. Just saying. Then, five seconds later, I remember why I have this great cd. The memory of the great cd, brings back the memories of a boy long gone. Now, you may be wondering "why isn't she with said boy with awesome music tastes"? Well because frankly, it wasn't really much of a relationship (though it was Facebook official for like a month). This whole scenario is just a slippery slope like the book "If you give a mouse a cookie".

So here are the major problems I find with a well made mixtape:
  1. You might never have one better than it: Reaching the ultimate combination of sweet tracks is not just an everyday achievement. You may have to wait years or decades before achieving a mixtape as great as the one of the past.
  2. The songs on it remind you of said mixtape: Some of these songs might be your favorites. You might listen to them daily, then SPLAT! They are put on a fantastic mixtape and when listening to them, you always hope for it to be followed by the next track. You then face disappointment as you realize you weren't listening to said mixtape.
  3. Questioning Judgements: If you are facing a similar scenario to myself, your friends might question your judgements. Most people do not get attached to cds. They simply see them as a disposal item. YOU CAN'T THROW AWAY THOUGHTS AND DREAMS. That's what music is to me. This songs take me to places I can't go to in my podunk town. Throwing away a great mixtape, is throwing away all the dreams you have while listening to it. As long as you can cope with the fact that at one point it had a different meaning, you are a-okay.
  4. Lou, Lou, Skip to My Lou: The dreaded skip from a dreaded scratch. The moment when you are really into your favorite mixtape then all of a sudden it happens. You are singing a long to "Flagpole sitta" and the lyrics go from "I'm not sick but I'm not well" into complete jibberish. It's a cringe worth moment that I know all to well. 
  5.  Songs get overplayed: When a mixtape is so good you don't want to switch it, your car companions and friends might begin to hate you. Most people can only listen to a song so many times before they stop enjoying it. I have never been one of these people, but I'm sure my friends are. I have worn out many a songs for them. 
  6. With a damn good mixtape, comes damn good responsibility: When making mixtapes for others, if you make them a fantastic one, you are always living up to that standard. If you set the bar to high, you might become a constant failure in future endeavors of mixtape making.
As far as this mixtape in particular goes, it took me only a few moments to look past the original meaning. I listened to it in its entirety. It is now located back in the pile resting till the time again when it meets my cd player. 

& that's all folks.

Simply Shelby Sue

P.s. If you are making a mixtape, also beware of what songs you are putting on it when giving it to someone special. The less creepy, the better. Try not to look like me in this really messed up gif.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Words of encouragement are always welcome!